Court / Off-Duty Unit
The Miami Gardens Police Department (MGPD) requires that an application be submitted to utilize the off-duty services of a police officer. It is the discretion of the MGPD to provide Off-Duty police services. The Department will not issue permits to any person, business entity or organization that operates unlawfully or that may conduct business in such a manner that discredit an officer or MGPD. The Miami Gardens Police Department will attempt to staff officers during the requested dates and hours. However, due to emergencies, staffing or other unforeseen circumstances, a permit may not be filled when requested. Request for details shall be submitted within fourteen days before the event. All off-duty detail requests require approval through the chain of command and usually takes five business days to process. Requests submitted less than the allocated time may not be adequately staffed or approved. If we are unable to fill any positions, the perspective vendors will be notified 48 hours before the requested date. There is a three-hour minimum requirement for off-duty services and it must be paid in advance.
- Officers will adhere to the rules and regulations of the Miami Gardens Police Department and the City of Miami Gardens.
- Officers will enforce all local ordinances, state and federal laws whenever needed or required according to Miami Gardens Police policy.
- Officers are not to enforce the rules and regulations of a private employer as a condition of their employment, or at any time while employed by a private employer unless there is a violation of local, state or federal law.
- Officers will not get involved in any employer/employee dispute unless there is a violation of the law.
- Officers will wear their authorized department uniform at all times.
- Officers will maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
- Officers will not serve as bodyguards.
It is the mission of the Miami Gardens Police Department to safeguard the lives and property of the people we serve, to reduce the incidence and fear of crime, and to enhance public safety while working with the diverse communities to improve their quality of life. Our mandate is to do so with honor and integrity, while at all times conducting ourselves with the highest ethical standards to maintain public confidence. In that effort, officers are often employed in an off-duty capacity. The officer’s purpose remains the same as when they are in an on-duty status. Miami Gardens Police officers are sworn to protect and serve and to deliver criminals into the hands of the criminal justice system. The officers are responsible for catching criminals who threaten the livelihood, property and peace of other citizens.