header image with the American flag, Miami Gardens police Department patch, and three police motorcycles

Special Victims Unit


The Special Victims Unit was created to have a specialized unit to investigate sex related, child abuse and domestic related violent crimes. Each of these cases require an investigator that has specialized training in these types of cases. The unit is comprised of one sergeant and seven investigators. There is one detective assigned to this unit to investigate missing persons cases.


The Unit’s objective is to reduce the rate of occurrence of domestic related crimes and offer education and counseling to the victims.

Unit Command Staff

Sergeant DeWayne Piper

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is a domestic crime?
Any violent crime where the victim and subject are: Married, have a child in common, immediate family member, or living together as if a family.

2. How can I get a copy of my police report?
You can get a copy of your police report by responding to our Records Unit, located in the police headquarters building located adjacent to City Hall at 18611 N.W. 27 Avenue. They are open Monday through Thursday, 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM.

3. How can I get a protection order?
You have to respond to the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office Domestic Crimes Unit and fill out an application form. The form is reviewed by a Judge who will decide if the facts on the application form meet the criteria. If it does, a Temporary Restraining Order will be issued and a Court date will be set where both parties will provide testimony. At the conclusion of hearing testimony, the Judge will determine if the order will be extended or dismissed.

4. I am involved in a violent relationship but do not have the means to move. What should I do?

Make a police report to report the crime. You can contact our Victim Advocates who can assist you in finding temporary lodging and other assistance. If you qualify for benefits, you will be eligible for financial and counseling benefits.

5. I made a police report of domestic violence but don’t know the status of my case. How can I find out?
You can call the Investigations Division at 305-474-1420 and provide either your name or the case number.


Sergeant DeWayne Piper
Phone: 305-474-1538
Email: [email protected]
Address: 18611 NW 27 Avenue, Miami Gardens, FL 33056